This page is devoted to dealing with YOUR questions relating to fire safety industry issues.


Although you may send your questions to the CFAA Administrator at admin@cfaa.ca , the CFAA is, unfortunately, no longer able to have someone respond to you directly. We will however forward your query to our technical committee for review and consideration as an interesting subject for possible use in a future issue of the Journal or for presentation under the “news and tips” or “advise and discussions” areas of our website.

Your questions: should contain enough background information as may be necessary for us to fully understand the issue in the context raised and should relate to an issue that affects the fire alarm industry such as the Fire Code, the Building Code or a ULC Standard (Specify whether National or Provincial) or should be a technical issue which affects the design, installation or testing of fire alarm systems or should pertain to any other issue which affects the fire alarm industry and upon which the CFAA may have an opinion.

Most questions require interpretations of the Building Code, the Fire Code and ULC Fire Alarm installation, verification and testing standards. For the answers to most questions to be useful and meaningful, they need to be directed to those responsible for the appropriate standard for an official response.

For interpretations on the Building Code, each of the Provinces have a Building Code Committee which can be contacted or you can contact the National Building Code Committee in Ottawa.

In most jurisdictions, the local fire departments are responsible for issues related to the Fire Code or alternatively you can contact your Provincial Fire Marshals Office directly.

Inquires related to the ULC Standards should be forwarded to the ULC standards secretary, Mike Prasad, (mahendra.prasad@ca.ul.com) who will have one of the ULC engineers provide an answer where appropriate or forward the question to the working group chairman for a response from the working group.

Questions related to NFPA Standards can be sent to the NFPA standards secretary who will forward the question to the appropriate individual for comments. (www.nfpa.org)

May we suggest that you consider clearly phrasing your question, identifying your Province and city and include details of the building as appropriate. Then forward your question to the appropriate group for comment.

I am an existing technician. How do I log on as a member?